[squeak-dev] Seaside on Squeak

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Jan 15 10:36:48 UTC 2014

>> On 14-01-2014, at 5:17 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
>> > Meh. Don't worry about it. Seaside is obsolete anyway.
>Yes, but  smart phones are really important now, so "responsive design" is
>the in thing: one UI that scales down to 3" phone and up to 30" monitors.

Colin,

sorry - but in which cave do you live in the last year? ;)

Seaside is alive and well, maybe a little bit more in the background because
you can now also start a webserver in a few lines in groovy, node.js, Pharo Zinc, younameIt
... as well and web development is exploding these days anyway with thousands of
frameworks.

Seaside (similar to Smalltalk) is not the major player but as before it allows for good
componentized web applications and with its dynamic tools helps you if your apps
grow in size.

Dont know for Squeak these days but for Pharo and also commercial ST vendors Seaside is
still alive and still relevant, there is a new maintenance version 3.0.10 version
in the 3.0 path and a shiny new release version 3.1.0 with REST, JSON and many other
new improvements.

For instance alone in germany in 2013 two new online services started with
Seaside last year:

   http://kontolino.de  (using VAST Smalltalk + Seaside)
   http://spesenfuchs.de (using Pharo + Seaside)

One thing I liked most was that Pharo together with Seaside is now also used
to control nanosatellites

  http://de.slideshare.net/nahuelgarbezza/smalltalks-2013-a-web-console-to-control-nanosatellites

Beside commercial projects it was/is used for research projects like

  http://inbug.inf.usi.ch

for example.

It was used to create SmalltalkHub together with Amber:

   http://smalltalkhub.com/

There are also new hosting options for Seaside since 2013 like

   http://www.pharocloud.com

with easy deployment by just uploading the running image - also supporting Aida and others.

And yes: web applications move also to smaller devices like tablets and
smartphones. You should google for Nick Ager's ESUG presentation on developing
mobile apps with Seaside.

There are new shiny external libraries out there that can be used to provide "responsive design".
And they can easily be used with Seaside too. If you are up to date with web development then
the "Twitter Bootstrap" library should ring some bells since many web pages and web apps
are done with it theses days.

It is available for Seaside too: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap
Try the bootstrap on top of Seaside demo here:

   http://pharo.pharocloud.com/bootstrap

If you want to play with it try in a fresh Pharo 3.0 from http://files.pharo.org and
load it from the config browser "World menu" -> "Configuration browser".

So Seaside is far from being "obsolete" and I'm sure the Seaside community would welcome
if Squeak community would help making it available again for Squeak too since this
would be a valuable addition not only for Seaside but also for Squeak.

And before you declare other Smalltalk web frameworks as "obsolete": also Aida web
framework had a new release in 2013 and Iliad is currently ported to work again on
newest Pharo.

Thx
T.