[squeak-dev] Seaside on Squeak

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Jan 15 13:51:05 UTC 2014

Hey!

On 01/15/2014 03:00 AM, Colin Putney wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org
> <mailto:tim at rowledge.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 14-01-2014, at 5:17 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com
>     <mailto:colin at wiresong.com>> wrote:
>      > Meh. Don't worry about it. Seaside is obsolete anyway.
>
>     Really? I haven’t taken any interest in web development in ages;
>     what’s the replacement for Seaside?
>

> It's not that there's a replacement. It's more that the problem it
> solves isn't a problem anymore.  Continuations were a brilliant way to
> manage apps that were basically dynamically generated web pages
> connected via links and forms. But Javascript runtimes have gotten way,
> way faster, more robust and more standardized in the last 10 years.
>   Modern web apps are more of a client-server model: the UI rendering
> and interface logic is all done in Javascript running in the browser,
> and it communicates with the server by shuttling JSON back and forth
> over HTTP. In that sort of a system, continuations don't provide any
> benefit, and the drawbacks start to become significant.
>
> Colin

And IMHO if you want the Seaside style of development (components, HTML
DSL without templates etc) Amber is what you want - it is the "modern
web" replacement for Seaside.

smalltalkhub.com being the prime example of it.

regards, Göran

PS. But Seaside-REST is still quite slick and useful for createing
RESTful backends. But that is probably easy to split out from the rest
of Seaside.