[squeak-dev] NuScratch alpha release

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jan 18 18:30:41 UTC 2014

On 17-01-2014, at 11:08 PM, jannik laval <jannik.laval at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure why we would share instead of working together on the same platform. You have knowledge that I don't have and I did a work that you are redoing.

First problem there is that I simply don’t like the UI & tools in Pharo, so I’m not going to use them. That leads to problems with simple sharing due to the divergence between Squeak & Pharo in dealing with fonts etc. Sharing some code will work out ok, I’m sure.

> Another question that I asked to me when beginning Phratch: why not just using Scratch2.0 ? It is compatible with Scratch1.4.

Dealing in Scratch 2.0 files is something for the future. Not to mention that as I understand it Scratch is being re-written yet *again* to move away from Flash and towards html5. Or whatever is fashionable and not-Smalltalk this week. Meantime a large number of people want a better Scratch1.4 system for Pi to use for teaching and whatever - so that’s what I have to deliver.

tim
Computer possessed? Try DEVICE=C:\EXOR.SYS