[squeak-dev] Re: Seaside on Squeak

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Wed Jan 22 14:51:47 UTC 2014

I am not a Seaside expert--and I am activelly trying to move away from web-development.

If I may throw out a bit of advocacy here.

I used to made my living doing "middleware" work in web development ( I still do some freelance PHP work to pay the bills).
My specialty is getting data from the database to the web page for the designers to use, back through the business layer and to the database.

I have used PHP and its frameworks:  Zend, CodeIgniter, Java and its frameworks (which are pretty good) and the Microsoft stack (which I hate)
By far the easiest to use for complex applications in that "middleware" stack is Seaside components. All you do is get a robust definition of what
the use-case is and the application pretty much writes itself. Development time and maintenance are greatly reduced.

I do see the trend towards Javascript by the young-uns out there--most developers do think in  Algol afterall--which is fine, but it is really repeating the 70's all over again.
It get's boring--same coding style, same frameworks to manage the short-comings..just blah.

Once you "get" how to think in a non-algol language, there really is no going back--except for system level stuff near the metal where C is king.

Jut my 2 cents.

tty.

---- On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:12:04 -0800 Colin Putney<colin at wiresong.com> wrote ----

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Stephan Eggermont <stephan at stack.nl> wrote:
> Tim wrote:

>>Really? I haven’t taken any interest in web development in ages; what’s the replacement for Seaside?
>
> There is none. Client side javascript development is horrible. Nothing available that can be expected
> to have a significant market share 5 years from now.

That's to be expected. Smalltalk is an obscure language from the 80s.
It doesn't, and won't, have significant marketshare in any market.