[squeak-dev] mouseOverForKeyboardFocus default for 4.5

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 04:27:31 UTC 2014

Leaving this disabled more closely matches Windows, but it requires
clicking wherever you want to put keyboard focus.  But clicking for
focus is invokes whatever selection where you clicked (even though you
only want to gain keyboard focus on the list) which could cause even a
modal pop-up if the text pane was dirty.  Clumsy!

With the option to Enable this setting, merely pointing provides
immediate keyboard control to the widget under the hand, without
needing to click.  That is real "point-and-click", because you point,
then you can "click" with any key not just on the mouse, but also the
keyboard, to manipulate the UI.  Control is magnified under two
dimensions of input.

We all in this community set what we want for all preferences.  Many
of the default settings specified in ReleaseBuilder are the opposite
of my personal settings, but the best choice for the defaults.  This
is about the _default_ for Squeak, not our personal preference.

I think we've reached a time of such technical-diversity that don't we
need to care as much about emulating Windows XP.  Squeak can do
better, and I think it should.