[squeak-dev] Re: mouseOverForKeyboardFocus default for 4.5

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Jan 23 23:13:21 UTC 2014

Bert Freudenberg wrote
>> But clicking for
>> focus is invokes whatever selection where you clicked (even though you
>> only want to gain keyboard focus on the list) which could cause even a
>> modal pop-up if the text pane was dirty.  Clumsy!

This is a separate problem. IMHO, Mac Finder has the correct way to handle
clicking in a list without focus.
Open a Mac Finder window and select several items. Then open another Finder
window. You'll see the selection of the original window get paler (which is
a great piece of visual feedback; I'm often fooled because I'm looking at a
browser window list pane and the blue selection makes me think I can scroll
with the arrow keys). Then, click anywhere in the Finder list with the
selection. A mouse down does nothing (maybe Squeak's pre-selection would be
even better here) unless you start dragging (which does what you'd expect),
but on mouse up, all it does is give the list focus, preserving the
selection.

Regarding the question at hand, I think point-to-focus would be much more
useful if windows made an effort to open under the active hand, but agree
that for new users, click-to-focus will be easier on their muscle memory.
Let's keep their brainpower for the blue plane :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean