[squeak-dev] mouseOverForKeyboardFocus default for 4.5

Tim Felgentreff timfelgentreff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:00:07 UTC 2014

Click-to-focus annoys me so much that it was one of the reasons I
switched from Mac to Linux on my MacBook back when I still had one.
That being said, I'm fine with it being a preference that I can change
(an option Mac OS did not have.)

My reason for setting click-to-focus by default would be that in my
experience with undergrad students exposed to Squeak in the last few
years, focus-follows-mouse has been a major issue for many. People who
know and want focus-follows-mouse tend to take a look if they can
enable it. I found that people who do not know there are different
focus behaviors than "what Windows/Mac/Unity does" don't look.

So, while I won't use it, in the interest of keeping the entry hurdle
low, I support switching to click-to-focus by default.

cheers