[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 27 20:03:28 UTC 2014

On 27-01-2014, at 10:19 AM, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:

>  opened a browser which via some animation slid into making a button unreadable.
> Each click into a list started another animation of resizing the browser panes.
>
> How can I stop this? This really is distracting. Inspectors also animate, as well as the debugger which is extremely unhelpful.

Ooh, yuck. Now that’s a nasty bit of unwarranted UI flummery. Please let’s turn that off by default, at the very least.

> And there is no welcome Workspace open. Though closing them is an annoyance to people like me I still vote for having them open like prior releases.

I concur. Something open by default that explains what the this weird looking window is and why I don’t want to just close it right away and go back to a nice, safe, familiar TECO terminal and start typing JCL cards.

I see that we have a quite large collection of help-ish things under ‘Help’; I don’t think I’ve ever looked there before ;-)
The problem immediately apparent is that we have a collection, not a simple and intelligible system. 4 workspaces, an application sort of window, another workspace, a submenu of workspaces, an application thing that looks a bit like the ancient Windows help stuff I recall from Windows 3.1, and then another application that looks like a variant of the previous one (and actually includes it, I see) with some possibly useful info but not much. It needs at the least some content in the initial view!

I fear we’re likely to confuse more than help in too many situations. Surely we ought at least fold all those things into the one help browser to gather everything into one place. Then we can consider how to actually explain stuff a bit better.

tim
Ubi dubium ibi libertas