[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 22:19:21 UTC 2014

Hi John-Reed,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <aldeveron at graffiti.net> wrote:
> 1. There is an interesting (and to me, unnerving) new feature in Squeak Squeak4.5-13663.
>
> Automatic pane resizing in System Browser.
>
> When I mouse around in a newly opened window, the panes resize their height and width in seemingly random ways.

It's not random at all.  The philosophy of the horizontal-splitter
algorithm is to 1) only expose additional information but, 2) don't
truncate any information to accomplish that, e.g., only encroach on
whitespace.

For vertical bars; the bars between lists will automatically
reposition themselves to encroach on whitespace in one pane to expose
more information in adjacent panes.  It will balance the number of
characters occluded on either side of the bar, if necessary.

For either, if a particular splitter is manually positioned, it will
remain still at the dragged location.  To reactivate
automatic-positioning, yellow-click it.

> I find no value in the resizing that is done.

A lot of thoughtful consideration, design, and implementation work
went into it.  It's a major productivity boost.  It alleviates 90% of
manual sizing otherwise required by the user in a typical day.

Everyone should give this chance for at least one full day's work
before judging it.  I struggled with the animation distraction for a
day or two, but now when I open a window, I simply let them do their
work while I put the window where I want.  I'm 90% liberated from
manual twiddling, positioning and scrolling.  I've noticed even the
_need_ to resize windows is reduced too.

> 2. Comment:  From an experienced user perspective, I appreciate the clean look when I first open Squeak.
> >From a new user perspective, I appreciate the introductory screens.

I want to deliver a clean-look this time.  If a new user is presented
with nothing but a clean desktop, they have no choice but to
"explore".  I don't to want to fool new users into getting comfortable
by thinking those workspaces have everything they need to do useful
things with Squeak.  I want them in the "drivers seat" from the get
go.

> 3. Presenter(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #associatedMorph
>      a. Open Squeak
>      b. Open a new morphic project
>      c. Return to previous project
>      d. Select red X, close this window.