[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:12:01 UTC 2014

Sigh.  Okay guys, you win.  But the reasons I'm frustrated:

  - I was looking for feedback about it last September.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2013-September/173162.html.
  - Notice I left it OFF at that time (I shouldn't have!), because I
was thinking about y'all and not "first impressions" of new users.
  - Now I'm thinking about first impressions of new modern users who
appreciate a modern UI that feels "alive", and catering to their need
to see information, not feeling like a cumbersome dinosaur UI from the
1990's.
  - I expected more thoughtful critique from the guy redoing Scratch
than premature "flummery" dismissal.

Herbert correctly points out the debugger is the most dramatically
affected because each step into code causes new contents in all panes
which means constant pane-size optimization.  I intend to address this
in 4.6.

But, after using it every day since September, it's goodness far
outweighs its badness.  I'm never going back.  The one or two bad
cases are easily alleviated by a simple repositioning of the splitter,
something that otherwise must be done a hundred times per day, along
with scrolling and resizing of windows, than when the pref is off.

That's why I feel it should be On by default for 4.5 release, but will
of course respect the vote of the community.