[squeak-dev] re: Downloading a VM is hard

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jan 29 03:10:11 UTC 2014

On 28-01-2014, at 5:44 PM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

>     I've done VM rebuilds on all platforms recently. If there's
> anything we need, please let me know.

All platforms? I didn’t know you had gone RISC OS ;-) But of course, if you have a Pi, you actually could…

We have some fairly sophisticated automation stuff in place and maybe we can leverage that to provide some more timely builds for fans of bleeding edges. I know there is the Jenkins builder but my understanding is that it is intended to do check builds (?) and right now the jenkins dashboard at http://build.squeak.org/ is showing a lot of red for OSX related VMs. I’m not about to guess what most of it even means. Well, except that the Cog related log seems to imply a problem with even trying to generate the sources.

What seems to be missing is assembling the sources *and checking them in* (I know this might cause some storage space issues for Ian on squeakvm.org after a while) in the way that IAn occasionally does for the unix tree; which means that it is harder than really neccessary for me to grab a source tree and build a Pi/Raspbian vm. Worse, it is harder for the guy that puts together the ‘production’ Raspbian vm package. And of course it would be nice to include both Cog and StackVM code.

Mostly what we need is some much more clear information with clear links to both ‘stable’ vms (and platform packages etc if wanted) and development vms, with a decent description of the ways to make use of them.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BZR: Branch if piZza Ready