[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Jan 29 08:09:53 UTC 2014

On 29.01.2014, at 00:52, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 27.01.2014, at 23:19, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John-Reed,
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <aldeveron at graffiti.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I find no value in the resizing that is done.
>>
>> A lot of thoughtful consideration, design, and implementation work
>> went into it.  It's a major productivity boost.  It alleviates 90% of
>> manual sizing otherwise required by the user in a typical day.
>
> Chris, I appreciate the things you add to Squeak. But as a release manager, you have to wear a different hat. Now, a couple of days before the release, is not a good time to introduce a major UI change. That needs to be done at the beginning of a release cycle, not at the end of it.
>
> +1.
>
> And I *hate* it ;-).
>
> (You guys are really adept at souring my mood today!)
>
> It would be sort-of if it resized once, on opening.
>
> That won't work, because as soon as your pane-state changes in the already-opened window, you'll have truncated info again.
>
> But it resizes all the time
>
> No, it does NOT do that.  If it did, I wouldn't use it myself.

Well it does, watch:  http://netshed.de/split.mov
It moves the splitter everytime I select some different pane.

At sec 3, the [instance] button becomes illegible.
At sec 19, the protocol pane becomes too narrow…
At sec 25, the right splitter collapsed completely.
At sec 27, the code pane shrinks.
At sec 31, the splitter does not know whether to turn left or right.
At sec 49, selecting the method leads to its name in the message pane being illegible.