[squeak-dev] java interpreter/compiler hosted with Spur?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jan 29 16:37:32 UTC 2014

Frank Shearar wrote:

> Cog _does_ support multiple languages: Squeak and Newspeak. Given that
> Ruby can run on top of Gemstone (Maglev), there shouldn't be an issue
> with running other languages on top of Cog... assuming there's someone
> sufficiently interested/available to actually _do_ that. (Oh, and of
> course IBM ran Java on top of a Smalltalk VM in Visual Age for Java.)

I didn't know that. I had always thought that the IBM team had written
all the development tools in Smalltalk but that the resulting code ran
on a conventional Java VM.

Note that the Java implementation on Self was sufficiently impressive
that it convinced Sun to buy Animorphic and do the HotSpot VM. That
project, called Pepe, was described in:

http://www.merlintec.com/vmworkshop99/sub.pdf

"Towards a Universal Implementation Substrate for Object-Oriented
Language"
Mario Wolczko, Ole Agesen, David Ungar

-- Jecel