[squeak-dev] Should IPv6 be enabled?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 29 22:02:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:56:15PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 29 January 2014 21:22, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 29-01-2014, at 1:12 PM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I thought we had it enabled in the 4.4 release, but I just downloaded
> >> and checked:  we didn't.
> >>
> >> So should we enable this at the last second of this release or first
> >> second of next release
> >
> > I???d say the latter - all I know about it comes from doing the RISC OS vm updates about a year ago and finding that the support code needed adding but wasn???t really in use. That implies a lack of testing to me. Could be wrong...
>
> +1. We "should have" switched this on early in 4.5, but we didn't -
> actually I think we did, found some problems and switched it off - but
> now's not the time to switch it (back) on.

+1

The IPv6 should *not* be enabled for general release. There are problems in the
new networking, particularly with respect to the resolver on Windows, and probably
other issues as well. It would be good if we can work on this in the next release
cycle, but for now the default should continue to be as before.

Dave