[squeak-dev] re: Downloading a VM is hard

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 29 23:23:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:57:06AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 29 January 2014 05:13, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > I regret my choice of "CogVM" and "InterpreterVM" as names for those two jobs, as it
> > implies that they are VM build jobs. They are intended to verify VMMaker code generation
> > only, and the build artifacts are just source tarballs that claim to be compileable.
>
> What names would you like? We can change them. Maybe "CogVM: verify
> code generation"? My only desire here would be that "Cog" and
> "Interpreter" remain as prefixes for the names.

Maybe CogVM-Slang and InterpreterVM-Slang would have been better. Or perhaps
CogVM-VMMaker and InterpreterVM-VMMaker? The idea is that these jobs are
focused on the Smalltalk to C code generation, as opposed to compiling a
runtime VM with all the associated libraries and platform dependencies.

> > If we are going to do automated VM builds, this should be done on squeakvm.org and/or
> > whatever Eliot might want to use for Cog. I'm quite sure that Ian would be happy to
> > support this. I personally would like to see it under the control of the Jenkins
> > infrastructure on build.squeak.org, because this provides a nice console to show
> > status and to retrieve build artifacts. But I think that any actual VM builds need
> > to be done on suitable platforms (definitely not box3.squeak.org), and if possible
> > should be looked after by whomever supports that actual VM.
>
> build.squeak.org does run builds, but it doesn't have to. For
> instance, those OSX builds run on my Mac mini.

Agreed, and this is as it should be. I don't mean to sound as though I am
contradicting you, as I think we are saying the same thing. The Jenkins at
build.squeak.org does a very nice job of orchestrating tests, and these tests
may be run on any number of slave servers. In the case of actual VM builds,
we would want the the slave servers to be whatever the VM developers prefer to
use, so that they can be set up with the appropriate compilers, libraries,
and build tools.

Dave