[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Monticello-cmm.585.mcz

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Jan 30 14:25:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>wrote:

> IMO, there's another thing worth doing, and that is sorting and
> uniqueifying the history.  I see duplicate entries in the ancestry which
> causes it to bloat (I suspect this happens on e.g. merge, but I'm not
> sure).  I have seen my manual attempts at uniqueifying ancestry shrink
> significantly the size of mcz files.

We could may be uses Chris' unique registry idea to have canonical
instances of VersionInfo. That would save memory in the image. We could
also change the mcz format to allow references between nodes in the
ancestry tree so that  there's no duplicate information there. That would
save space inside mcz files.

But the tree structure contains important information, and collapsing the
tree into a linear history would prevent MC from doing merges properly.

Colin