[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 2

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:24:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 January 2014 01:57, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Getting to a reasonably easy RC deployment process.
>>
>>   1) Download latest Squeak4.5.zip from
>> http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/.
>>   2) Unzip.  Launch image in Interpreter VM.
>>   3) Workspace, "ReleaseBuilder prepareNewRelease", do it.
>>   4) Save and exit the image.
>>   5) Zip it up and upload to updates at squeak.org:/var/www/files/4.5alpha/
>>   6) Send this note.
>
> Hm, steps 2-4 ought to be already happening as part of
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk's job. (In that it runs ReleaseBuilder
> prepareNewRelease and sets the image format to 6504.)

release.st calls #prepareNewBuild, not #prepareNewRelease.

preapreNewRelease is currently interactive.  It copies latest trunk
versions to squeak45 repository.

It also sets the updateUrl to squeak45.

I think prepareNewBuild is great for creating alpha-releases all
during the dev cycle.  But the actual _deployment_ of an alpha to a RC
or release should be a manually initiated action.