[squeak-dev] Morph flash (was The Inbox: Morphic-cmm.728.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jul 1 02:49:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:04:47PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 30.06.2014, at 21:54, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> > On 30-06-2014, at 12:52 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> We probably need to decide whether we want #flash to be a debugging tool or something any morph should be able to do in a way that properly integrates with the Morphic framework...
> >>
> >> It seems we want it fairly often-enough as a IDE tool, I wouldn't be opposed to a small delay...
> >>

> > Seems pretty obvious to me - add a #slowFlashAlert method and leave the plain flash alone.
> >
> > tim

As a general rule, it is a good idea to try things like this in MVC and see
if they still make sense. If it can only be made to work in a single UI framework,
it might be a questionable feature. So #flash works with View and with Morph, but
adding #slowFlashAlert might be too much clutter in the api. The "api" here is
de-facto but it should still make sense if you think of it being dispatched
through UIManager or Project.

> UserDialogBoxMorph has a special flash method that is nicely visible. Try this and click outside:
>
> 	self confirm: 'foo'
>
> For a general (non-modal) version it would be nicer to use alarms instead of delays, but I like the "double blink" effect.

+1

The "double blink" effect works very well in Morphic and gives very nice UI feedback.
In MVC it does nothing, and that seems reasonable too.

Dave

p.s. Yes I know, the "Reuse Windows" preference does not work in MVC either. That
would be a bug, but I'm not complaining ;-) Here I am referring to basic UI functions
like "beep" and "flash" that might reasonably be expected to do something in a variety
of UI frameworks.