[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tests-fbs.300.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 09:56:18 UTC 2014

On 3 July 2014 01:31, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Tests to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tests-fbs.300.mcz

>> Name: Tests-fbs.300
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 2 July 2014, 10:33:26.696 pm
>> UUID: 944c3f5e-ebef-c44b-8615-0ab6c2e0eb96
>> Ancestors: Tests-nice.299
>>
>> Our shiny new "About Squeak..." uses SystemReporter.
>

> This is an indicator of a problem. Hiding it won't help getting it fixed.
>
> There are no other references to SystemReporter (even though there's another
> menu item in the docking bar which brings up SystemReporter itself), because
> the other methods look up the class by name.
> It would be great to unify the three different methods, and make them work
> even if the current UIManager is not Morphic. The latter requires the
> extension of UIManager though...

The essential problem is that there is no separation between Morphic
and the things the UI provides (to paraphrase what you're saying).
Adding anything to the world menu (like this) means that Morphic's
dependencies change.

Fixing that is months of work from a volunteer, and those are pretty
thin on the ground. Having a minor dependency change (and it _is_
minor compared to the rat's nest that we have) make our test reports
look even crappier than they already do doesn't help with overall
quality.

I mean, when was the last time that we actually had no failing tests?
I think we managed to get down to 11 for Squeak _4.4_.

So in the balance between "hide one tiny dependency to make a test
pass" and "try build even the slimmest confidence in CI", I side with
the latter. Hence the commit.

frank