[squeak-dev] Re: New Cog VMs available...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:45:26 UTC 2014

Hi Marcel,

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Marcel Taeumel <
marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Okay, VM crashed at 992,6 MB. LowSpaceWatcher did not show up. I suspect
> the
> (copying?) GC needing another 1GB to work fine?

That shouldn't be the case.  It should be happy with a headroom of a few
hundred k.  The crash looks like its a problem with the LowSpaceWatcher, or
a problem with the VM not maintaining enough headroom.

> I thought that the define
> considered the sum of both memory spaces. Am I correct?

That's right.

> Basically, I just constructed a very deep tree structure to consume memory.

Does anything different happen with the standard VM?  It may be that teh
define makes no difference.

BTW, the below is a cheap way to consume memory because a byte object
contains no pointers and so if faster to scan, compact, etc:

| them | them := OrderedCollection new. [them addLast: (ByteArray new:
1024*1024*256)] repeat

--
best,
Eliot