[squeak-dev] how to publish a package requiring an external library

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Jul 9 20:10:13 UTC 2014

Hi Doug,

On 09.07.2014, at 19:01, Douglas McPherson <djm1329 at san.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a preferred/best practice way to publish a package together with its required external libraries? I've developed a package for accessing hardware peripherals such as GPIO and I2C from single board linux platforms such as Raspberry Pi. It uses FFI to access external libraries which I've assembled for use with Squeak. I would like to make binaries as well as source available.
>
> I was considering ss3 but I'm not sure it can store anything other than .mcz files. Any advice much appreciated.

In that case, I would recommend the whole Metacello-Workflow, in this case with
hosting on Github (where you obviously can store other things than monticello).

You can use the installation instructions on https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work
and be sure to read the documentation linked at the bottom of the page
(User Guide, Installation instructions, etc…)

I myself use Metacello (in its 1.0 form and in the form as advertised in
the link I sent you) and I know nothing better for Configuration- and Depencency-Managment
in the Smalltalk world.

In case of questions, you'll find support here on squeak-dev but as well
on the metacello list[1], or the glass list[2].

HTH

best
	-Tobias
[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/metacello