Le String… Re: [squeak-dev] I18n and Cairo/pango rendering

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Jul 23 17:33:09 UTC 2014

On 23.07.2014, at 19:03, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Oh surely we can come up with something even crazier? How about for the 64bit layout having the bottom 24bits be the character and the top 39 be a pseudo pointer to the next char in the string?

Well there is reason we don't think of a byte as 6 or 7 bit anymore…
I'd rather see the String implementation to use to be the most versatile one.
  For interacting with C, plain old C Strings seem the way to go. But what
is that, actually?
  For covering unicode, collections of 8-bit numbers, it is certainly not.
I really do not want to operate on utf-8 internal to the VM or image, but
  …for interchange, UTF-8 is (IMHO) clearly the way to go.

Best
	-Tobias