[squeak-dev] Inefficiencies

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jul 24 09:41:00 UTC 2014

While working on my SqueakJS VM (which now can run a current 4.5 image) I'm discovering a lot of gross inefficiencies. I have no time (or much desire) to fix these, but would anybody think it's valuable if I post them here? For example:

ScrollBar>>initializeSlider
ScrollBar>>sliderColor:
ScrollBar>>updateSliderColor:
Color class>>gray:
Color>>setRed:green:blue:
Float>>rounded
Float>>sign
Float>>>
Number>>adaptToFloat:andCompare:
Float>>asTrueFraction
Integer>>bitOr:

ctx[5]=rcvr: 3436915608L
ctx[6]=tmp0: 16r10000000000000L
ctx[7]=tmp1: nil

Converting a Float to an exact Fraction just to find out its sign seems very much unnecessary. And without the LargeInteger primitive support it also is really really slow.

My VM-level debugger makes it easy to stop at any time and look what's taking so long, so that's how I come across these.

- Bert -