[squeak-dev] can't start Squeak on one Ubuntu system anymore

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 16:49:17 UTC 2014

I'm going to make a suggestion and I suspect you won't like it. I've recommended this to another expert level programmer and he was not thrilled at all.

The problem with your VM is solely to do with its installation, I'll wager. How you put the VM on the machine is, I suspect, the problem.

Did you run some kind of script to install the VM on your machine? My recommendation is to never do that. Download a VM from mirandabanda.org, run it on the command line, and leave it at that. [1]. VM install scripts have shown me twice two very skilled programmers run aground. Don't do it.

As I said, I don't think you're going to like this suggestion. And you may think it's amateurish, but I've never had a problem. And I can think of two other expert level programmers who practically hung themselves. If Eliot says "This works on Linux" then I believe him.

My 2 cents,
Chris

[1]
'/home/chris/Desktop/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2761/squeak' '/home/chris/Desktop/VMMaker/Squeak4.5-13680.image' &

[2]
chris at chris-Dell-System-XPS-L322X:~/Desktop/2151/unix/build$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Release:	12.04
Codename:	precise