[squeak-dev] Re: can't start Squeak on one Ubuntu system anymore

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Wed Jun 4 10:51:01 UTC 2014

Hi Bert,

>>So, basically this just requires some effort on making nice source packages for distro maintainers. David and lately tty have been working towards that, and maybe someone else can join in (and be it just testing and commenting in what they produce).

Before I blew up my Ubuntu partition installing SunOS, I remember how disappointed I was when the Squeak distribution did not work.

While I am not making a hard and fast commitment (I have other squeak projects in mind that are significant) this "getting a newbie productive quickly" is a bit of a hobby-horse for me.

I also have a hunch that languages that are 'Not Algol' are going to be of increasing importance going forward, so I want Squeak 'out there' so that people can hack at it.

Cheers.

tty