[squeak-dev] Meet Swiff

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:48:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM, blake <dsblakewatson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It depends on what you mean by "tooling", I suppose. Lightable is an
>>  entire IDE for Clojure, clojure-mode and nREPL have been around for
>> ages for emacs users. There are build tools (lein), package managers
>> (lein), version control (whatever you like, but I'm guessing most
>> Clojure folk use git), ... You debug live services by connecting a
>> REPL to the misbehaving service, exactly analogous to VNC'ing into
>> source.squeak.org, except text based.
>>
>> frank
>>

> LightTable, also Cursive, CounterClockwise, NightMod (for games), to name
> a few of the livelier ones. Development is very Smalltalk-like, except that
> Clojure is AGAINST state and Smalltalk is ALL state...

There is also Field IDE for live coding (Python, Java, JavaScript,
Processing ect.) (http://openendedgroup.com/field/OverviewBanners2.html)
from OpenEndedGroup, has introduced code execution timeline first and more
fundamental, which is worth to note presented in Swift.
>From the features of Field IDE:
"A Multi-paradigm code 'canvas'
Field adds to this text editor a drawing surface. The elements on this
canvas "contain" the code that the text editor edits. What you do with this
surface is really up to you. It could just supply a simple desktop
metaphor, a spatial memory for the arrangement of your code fragments. But
you can also arrange boxes of code into sequences and scrub over them with
execution markers; you can invent your own control-flow systems between
code fragments; you can write code that draws into the canvas using a
sophisticated procedural drawing system; you can visualize the inner
workings of code as it executes; you can further edit these drawings with
the integrated mouse-based spline editor. You can embed graphical user
interface elements directly into the canvas to start building your own
interfaces for the code that you are writing. "

Regards,
Nikolay