[squeak-dev] DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jun 5 19:52:56 UTC 2014

On 05-06-2014, at 12:28 PM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> To get the ball rolling, here's a list culled from the prior exchange
> we had.  Let's see if we can stick to our words today and knock this
> out before next meeting!  Expand it, trim it, word-it-up.  :)  Thanks.
>
> - Squeak release 4.5 with the initial alpha implementation of Environments.
> - Jenkins-bsaed automated builds and testing of the Squeak image.
‘based' not ‘bsaed’. Unless there is a new word out there…

> - Tim's new alpha-release of Scratch on the Rasberry Pi was mentioned
> in Ebon Upton's January 14th blog. http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5742.

Could also mention the talks I gave on the Scratch updating at STIC’13 in Phoenix last june and at the THINK conference in Santa Cruz last November. How about -
"A new and performance improved version of the MIT Scratch system, as originally implemented in Squeak, but aimed at the Raspberry Pi was presented at talks for the ’13 Smalltalk Industry Council conference in Phoenix in July, at the THINK conference in Santa Cruz in November and publicly announced by the Raspberry Pi Foundation in January; see http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5742"

> - Craig presented the "State of Squeak" presentation at FOSDEM in Brussels.
Is there anything online to point to?

> - Eliot is about to release his first alpha of "Spur", the successor
> to the vaunted "Cog".  Spur will further improve the raw peformance of
> Squeak applications by another significant factor, and paving the way
> for 64-bit Squeak VM expected in 2015.
If they’re after ‘up-to-end-Feb’ news it should probably be more like 'Eliot started work on..'

tim
Fractured Idiom:- VENI, VIPI, VICI - I came; I'm a very important person; I conquered