[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] opening a write-only file

Douglas McPherson djm1329 at san.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 16:33:45 UTC 2014

On Jun 5, 2014, at 21:03 , David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 06:50:31PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>

>> On 04.06.2014, at 18:19, Douglas McPherson <djm1329 at san.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've tested a fix for this on OS X and Linux. The fix simply adds an extra attempt to open the file after the "w+b" attempt using this code:
>>>
>>>         if (getFile(f) == NULL) {
>>>            setFile(f, fopen(cFileName, "wb"));
>>>         }
>>>
>>> If the previous attempts to open the file failed (because the file exists with write-only permission, no read permission) then the above will actually open the file write-only. Adding the extra attempt preserves existing behaviour for the success paths, so the change should be transparent to existing code.
>>>
>>> BTW, AFAICT the same issue exists in Pharo.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Doug
>>
>> Sounds reasonable to me.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> I have not tested it yet, but I think that this would truncate an existing file,
> so that if the write-only file exists and contains data, the data would be lost.
>
> Doug, could you check this with your patched VM?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes you are right, I didn't think of that. That is indeed what happens.

We could use "ab" instead of "wb" to get append behaviour if the file already exists. I think "a" is still a write-only mode. This is probably safer.

The larger issue of course is that FileStream and its subclasses have no protocol for the user to specifically request opening of a a write-only file, whether in append mode or overwrite mode. Currently all files that are opened must have at least read permission. Should we add something?  If so, any suggestions? I'm ok with the simple tweak above rather than adding new protocol, though it is really a hack.

Thanks,
Doug