[squeak-dev] Class subclasses

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:56:21 UTC 2014

On 12 June 2014 04:44, Florin Mateoc <florin.mateoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is an old bug, presumably since ProtoObject was introduced (and presumably because ObjectTracer was used in
> the process).
>
> If you ask Class for its subclasses (or if you inspect it) you see that ObjectTracer class is listed along with
> ProtoObject class, although ObjectTracer's superclass is ProtoObject.
> This can lead to some funny bugs if you try to write some hierarchy traversing code.

ObjectTracer's superclass is ProtoObject, as you say, but ObjectTracer
class's superclass is indeed Class. (Indeed, ProtoObject class
superclass == Class.)

So I'm not sure I understand the nature of the problem: metaclasses
are usually Class subclasses.

Aren't those funny bugs to do with the (unavoidable) singularity at
the top of both hierarchies?

frank