[squeak-dev] Squeak on Parallella board

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jun 13 23:36:54 UTC 2014

I was about to get my new Parallela (http://www.parallella.org/) board
running on Monday, but was too busy to touch it the rest of the week. I
found it interesting that among the short list of included applications
in the default Ubuntu 14 distribution both Scratch and Squeak were
present. Scratch seemed to run well enough, but there weren't any Squeak
images.

Today I decided to go to the Squeak site (which is, thankfully working
again) and download the 4.5 all-in-one zip. I wasn't sure if the
pre-supplied ARMv7 4.10.2-2614 virtual machine would be happy with the
latest image but it worked just fine.

Running "0 tinyBenchmarks" resulted in 56.5 million bytecodes/sec and
1.7 million sends/sec, which is about one tenth of the speed of the
system I am typing this on. The Parallella has a dual Cortex A9 ARM
running at 667MHz and with a 400MHz DDR3 main memory.

Of course, this isn't using any of the interesting features on the
board. The chip with the ARM cores has a very reasonable FPGA in it and
there is the Epiphany III chip with 16 cores, each with 32KB of local
memory and 64 bit floating point.

-- Jecel