[squeak-dev] a Cog BASH install script, please (as opposed to using 'make install')

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:53:13 UTC 2014

On Jun 15, 2014, at 2:28 PM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> If you download from svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog
>
> In the build directory for each configuration there exists a Bash script that does this. Its name is 'mvm'

http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/build.linux32x86/squeak.cog.v3/build/mvm

Thank you very much. This looks like a great tool to explore. I must confess that I'm unfamiliar with Cog sources in the Subversion directory. Owing to the complexity of what I've looked at and how HowToBuild is 1350 words in Microsoft Word, and at the risk of appearing facetious, I feel somewhat that you're making my point for me.

The source of VMs I'm more familiar with at mirandabanda.org is almost perfect for my needs. I'm going to try to hack together a script or Makefile to accomplish what I'm thinking of. At the very least, the attempt will clear up some misconceptions I have about scripts and Makefiles. If this is just about directories and scripts and placing what comes from mirandabanda.org in the right locations, then it should be OK. If it's about linking, then I don't suppose it's going to work out.

I do think that a clearer demarkation between the end users of VMs and the developers of VMs might be accomplished. The only place they seem to meet is in the All-In-One download.

Cheers,
Chris