[squeak-dev] Urgent, Spur users please read, was: The Inbox: Kernel-kfr.858.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jun 17 20:10:23 UTC 2014

On 17.06.2014, at 21:41, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> **Eliot opened up his
> note suggesting** a new repository for spur.  This whole thread
> could've ended there..  ;-)

Yes. But that lead directly to this discussion: We are trying to find a solution that *avoids* the problems caused by using separate repositories instead of proper branching.

The basic unit we deal with in MC is the MCZ file (or MC version if it's not in a file). With proper branching, this basic unit *carries the information* of which branch it's from.

By only putting a version in a different repo, the branch info is not attached to the version itself, it cannot be acted upon properly without utmost care by the user. Which *did* lead to a version getting submitted to the wrong repo. And there is *no way to tell*, unless stuff randomly breaking when you load that version is considered fine.

If Eliot had used proper branch names, this would not have happened. It's partly my fault because he asked me weeks ago if using multiple repos was the way to go and I did not foresee the problems this would cause. With the evidence we have available now we can conclude that relying on separate repos is not enough. Being explicit about the branch is a Good Idea.

- Bert -