[squeak-dev] Branches versus Repositories

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 16:25:35 UTC 2014

Hi.  Interesting discussion (parts of which my eyes glazed over reading) on
the Spur thread.  But, branches and repositories.

I manage a few packages, one of which is in 5 different repositories -
SqueakSource, SS3, SmalltalkHub, local file directory (main one!), and
various package-cache's.  These are NOT branches - they are just places
where the Monticello packaged code happens to reside.  I view multiple
repositories as backup and/or different focused delivery mechanisms - not
different branches.

In fact, I often scour around various other repositories for later versions
of packages - we have many members at large with their own squeaksource
like repositories where they keep different versions of the code for their
own purposes, but I can't tell when there are different versions in these
repositories if it is because they are 'branching', or if they just haven't
copied to the others, or if they were denied permission to copy to the
others (or didn't bother to ask), or...  In any case, I usually just take
the latest and use it.

And, once that package is just copied over (as being 'valid enough'), does
that mean it isn't on the branch anymore?

In fact, there was some work in the past that specifically took a group of
repositories, and took the last out of that group to load, instead of just
a single repository.  I'm not sure where this stands today, but it was an
interesting assertion that repositories where NOT branches in that
developers mind.

Just stating how I view the state of affairs today.

-cbc