[squeak-dev] Cog binary + cogdeb.zip = Cog.deb

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jun 18 19:35:50 UTC 2014

On 18-06-2014, at 12:07 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> we actually can already do that, if the picture fits into 512 byte…

Ah, I see what you mean; the image header… hmm, not what I was thinking about actually. It looks like Exif couldn’t be used because of an apparent 64kb metadata limit (but Spoon image files might work…) so maybe some simple steganography would do the trick. Make a jpg (or whatever) that looks to image previewers etc like a screenshot but actually has our image embedded within. After all, release images are not so different in size to typical decent camera files.

Aside from the advantage of convincing linux release weenies to accept our image file (they’re just images folks!) you get a free screen preview picture to remind you what image this is. It’s a bargain!

tim
PS Random sigline-mystic provides us with a timely reminder as to why we want the build system as we do.
Never do at  compile-time what you can put off till run-time