[squeak-dev] Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 18:40:59 UTC 2014

On 21 June 2014 19:06, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
>     (Bob, thanks for your reply).
>

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eliot,
>>
>> I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
>> and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
>> the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:
>>
>>     http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console
>>
>> but the error itself is this:
>>
>>     pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>> Operation not permitted
>>
>> and the process exited with status 22.
>>
>> Is this a simple thing to fix? Any idea what hoops I need to jump
>> through to work around the problem?
>

> So this is always described in the README on my website, see e.g.
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3006/README.3006.  I *could*
> put checks in the VM that saw if the kernel was >- 2.6.13 and whether
> /etc/security/limits.d/VM.conf existed and issue a more helpful error
> message.  But this is work and I feel like the README should be sufficient.
> What do y'all think?

I should have read the readme.

I do have an additional newbie question though: the readme says "log
out and back in again", which is fine for a user. In my case I'm not a
user, I'm a Jenkins service. I thought the equivalent would be
"restart Jenkins", which I did, and has apparently been insufficient.
Anyhow, _as a user_ I can now run cogspur on build.squeak.org. I'll
fight with Jenkins a bit more and see if I can get _Jenkins_ to do so.

frank