[squeak-dev] Re: [Box-Admins] Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 23:21:29 UTC 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 7:07 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> The upgrade sounds fine, although I think we are going to have a package
> conflict between the Cog installation and the original squeakvm installation.
> Most probably the Debian package manager is not going to be happy about that.

This is precisely the kind of thing of which I'm both afraid of and ignorant about. I'm working on the assumption that there can be one VM installed at a time. I'm unsure how the presence of the Interpreter VM complicates things. I don't really want to do anything until I know adding a VM won't mess things up.

> We currently have squeakvm (interpreter VM) installed on box3 and box4 in the
> standard locations and directories. The debs are in /root/localbuilds, as
> per the Ken Causey conventions (along with our notes in /root/admin-log.txt).

I'm going to have to read this more closely again tomorrow, as it's Friday night and I'm sort of drifting.

> I expect that adding a local deb for Cog probably will just require restricting
> the package to the binaries (not all the help files and such), and presumably
> renaming the start script so that it does not step on /usr/local/bin/squeak.
>
> I'll be happy to help you sort this out,

That sounds great.

> assuming I have Eliot's support
> for any naming changes.

So polite. I figure if he's upset, he'll let you know. I have that feeling.

> p.s. Thanks for bringing this up on box-admins before making the change.
> Much appreciated :-)

Thank you for saying so. There may have been a time when it was beneficial for me to act unilaterally (in my own mind if nobody else's) but I think that time has past.

Chris