[squeak-dev] Is there a preference for this?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jun 29 22:12:12 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 02:52:51PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> > opposed
> > > >

> > > -- I guess it could be either but it's also a browser function.  If there
> > > is already a usable browser on the desktop for whatever you're asking
> > for,
> > > implementors, senders, hierarchy browser, package browser, MC browser,
> > > etc., it'll bring forth that browser rather than open yet another, using
> > > more memry, and that you'll just have to close someday.
> > >
> > > Oh, if you search preferences for "Windows" it's right there..
> > >
> > > I'm curious whether, when you say, "open..." | Transcript, and you get
> > the
> > > same Transcript instead of a new one, does that annoy you too?
> >
> > It's probably mainly a matter of habit and training, but no that does not
> > annoy me.
> >
> > I am accustomed to thinking of the transcript as a single thing that can
> > be written to from anywhere, somewhat like a stdout stream. I am also
> > accustomed to thinking of the transcript window itself as being the thing
> > that gets written to. So if I tell the system to open that singleton
> > window,
> > and it is already open, I am not surprised that the system refuses to make
> > two instances of something that is supposed to only have one.
>

> > On the other hand, if I tell the system to inspect something, I expect it
> > to open an inspector on that thing.
>
> When I ask the system to this, and it
> > decides to do something else instead, I am annoyed.
> >

> Ah, I think I finally realized the root cause of the annoyance.  You had
> the inspector window already open, but it was not occluded by any other
> window.  So when you invoked 'inspect' in another window, there was not as
> dramatic a change on the screen, just the focus shift.  If you didn't
> notice that, it may have left you thinking the inspect command "didn't
> work."  By opening a new window every time, the users attention is more
> effectively directed to the location of the window on the screen.

Yes, that is it exactly! I quite literally thought that nothing had happened.
I did a "self inspect" from an inspector, and I happened to be working in
a format 6521 spur image at the time, so my first reaction was "something is
horribly broken it this image, it does not even know what self means". Then I
found out that exactly the same thing was happening in a 68002 image that I
also happened to have open. Confusion ensued, followed by annoyance ;-)

> This makes me wonder if a #flash would help for that scenario..

Yes that would probably help. Although I do think that this is a preference
that might best be left disabled by default.

Dave