[squeak-dev] How do I create an MCZ file?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 01:22:08 UTC 2014

On 28 February 2014 17:08, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Feb 28, 2014, at 4:49 PM, "JohnReed Maffeo" <aldeveron at graffiti.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have been looking all over and I can not find the instructions about how to create an MCZ file. I have a working version of the program I have been developing and would like to start using SS3 as a repository, but it will only let me upload an MCZ file. All I seem to be able to find is file out in the Category pane.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> john-reed
>
> Hi John. Have you looked at the Monticello browser? It's in the open... menu IIRC. I haven't used it in a while as I've been spending a lot of time in Cuis, but basically it's a SCM tool. It creates and loads .mcz files.

Also available under the Tools menu at the top of the window.

Once open, your package should appear in the left pane. (This is the
name of the system category, typically, or the prefix of the system
categories if you have Foo-Core, Foo-Test, Foo-Extra categories. If
it's not there, hit the +Package button, which will prompt you for a
name.

It's probaby a good idea to add a package for every system category
you have. So given system categories Foo-Core and Foo-Test, make
packages with those same names. Once that's done, click any of your
packages and add a repository to it by clicking the "+Repository"
button. You'll want an HTTP repository, and you'll put the relevant
description there:

MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Foo'
user: 'yourname'
password: 'yourpassword'

Right click (er, blue click? I have no idea) that repository and
select "add to package..." to add the repository to your other
packages.

Once you've done all of that, you can select each package when you're
done editing, select the repository, and hit "Save". It should be
obvious what to do after that. Note that you will end up with a local
copy of the mcz in your package-cache. If something goes wrong in the
save process, you can often open up the package-cache repository,
select the relevant package and version, and use the Copy button to
copy it to another repository. Be careful, because that list of target
repositories includes _all_ known repositories, not just the ones you
added to your packages in the Monticello Browser.

frank