[squeak-dev] Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte gus.duarte at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:11:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

Overview
========

I would like make a brief overview of the situation.

In my case, this problem is happening on laptos Magalahes model MG3,
these kind of the machines are manufactured by a Portuguese company,
http://www.jp-ik.com/, focuses on provide laptop for children.

Here in Uruguay there is a country wide Educational Project, called
"Plan Ceibal"[1] [2]. Thousand of these machines were distributed to
children on the schools around all the country.

Until last year 2013, this machines comes with Ubnutu 10.04 installed
and Squeak was working like a charm.

Currently a migration to Ubuntu 12.04 is on deployment stage, and some
of the remaining issues is this (Squeak).

More info about the HW of this Machine [3]

Research results so far:
==========================

I tried get more information, calling fullScreenON and Off from
Worksapce unsessfully, same behavior happened, but no additional data
were printed out.

Now, I will take the another approach, related with a comment did by Tim
Rowledge on the old thread.

<<
"I’d say that strongly suggests a problem in the code setting the screen
mode; you’ll find it (for unix) in platforms/unix/vm-display-
X11/sqUnixX11.c at the function  display_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt
fullScreen). Since it works on many unices and has for a long time I
imagine it means some problem with the specific machine’s display driver
code. That could be all sorts of fun to solve. At the very least you’ll
need to find an X expert, which is not me."

Taking in account, i have never developed on Squeak, my plan would be like:

1) Add debugging cide like "printf" to sqUnix11.c to may debug, and
check if there where the problem

2) Compile Squeak - VM from sourece code, modified.

3) Run Squeak vm with clean Squeak image.

4) See the output of debugging code.

5) With these new clues, i'll ask help to a X expert.

What do you think, that sounds reasonable ?

Is another easier approach ?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

[1] http://www.ceibal.edu.uy