[squeak-dev] Unintended consequences; part zillion of a gazillion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Mar 18 19:53:52 UTC 2014

I just stumbled over a fairly amusing case of unintended consequences.

In MenuMorph we have the ability to add icons next to the text labels of any menu item. To be ‘helpful’ somebody decided to allow parsing of the texts sent to MenuItemMorphs to see if ..
and if so, attach a suitable icon to the entry.

Unfortunately, ‘no’ is also the code for the Norwegian language setting, so a menu of language codes has this mysterious big ‘X” icon next to that entry. So far as I can see right now there isn’t any way to actually access the menu building so as to tell it not to be so ‘helpful. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard but I just don’t have time to worry about that for now.

A lesson in the need for careful thinking, brought to you by the letters ’n’ and ‘o’.

tim
'Profanity: the universal programming language'