[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 02:48:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 20-03-2014, at 6:42 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I made a softlink to the image zip.
>>
>> But why should we duplicate the VM directories again and again in
>> every image release?
>
> Kindness to the users? Having the latest - even if it is old - in a place that is easy to find makes life less frustrating. If space usage is a concern then we ought to be able to use links, surely. I suggest that it is easier to explain “go here and you will find everything” than “go here and you will find some things, and then the things you don’t find (which might be…..) should be findable by looking around for a similar looking directory a bit older” and so on.

I'm just thinking about the target audiences (newbie and experienced)
and wondering which one would ever dig into those directories.
Experienced will already have their VM and if they needed a new one
they would never get it from one of those download directories.

Then there's the other type of Squeak consumer, someone who isn't
invested yet but just wants to explore Squeak.  They'll be downloading
the All-In-One and so not going into those platform dirs either.

I almost wonder whether those platform dirs could actually _confuse_
newbies because they'll say, "yeah, I've got a Mac, I better get that
stuff in the mac directory" when they actually don't need to do that
at all.

Good thing the web site links straight to the all-in-one zip file.