[squeak-dev] Should class comments be separated from source code?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Mar 23 21:08:03 UTC 2014

On 22-03-2014, at 11:44 PM, liang bing <liangbing64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Should class comments be separated from source code?

No. Well, probably not. Class comments are supposed to be a short but helpful guide to what the class is for. We have a number of problems with them but they’re all really to do with the lack of them or the outdatedness of them.

> 4.	comment should be stand alone as  knowledge base with different local
> languages
Now that is actually a good point. I don’t think it would be solved by having a separate comments file though. Quite aside from anything else, where are we going to get the volunteers to write hundreds of class comments and then re-write them in various languages?

An option that would provide some capability for multiple languages would be to add a way to check on the web for a class comment that is more recent - or in a different language- and download it. A really simple fetch of a page from the swiki ought to be adequate, at least as a proof of concept. Or a ping to a Magma server?

tim
Useful random insult:- Low on thinking gas.