[squeak-dev] (Environment named: #Smalltalk) trap in 4.5

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu May 1 21:59:54 UTC 2014

On 01.05.2014, at 23:14, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd vote for Symbols and _keeping_ the IdentityDictionary
>
> May I ask why?

Gut feeling, primarily.
First, I think symbols are the right thing to identify Environments, I think.
They are symbolic representers (is this a word) for their namespaces.
And I think, when using symbols, IdentityDictionary comes naturally.

Furthermore, I would avoid any strings (and if we must, have special
selectors for them. (picking up your example:
(Environment named: #Smalltalk) but
(Environment namedFromString: 'Smalltalk')

Best
	-Tobias

PS: It is frecking dangerous to have Symbols be actually Strings in disguise
    once you want to do anything portable. I'm looking at you, class categories!