[squeak-dev] compiler bug with 4.5?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 2 00:12:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 04:47:09PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     just found a worrying bug in 4.5. that may be a bytecode compiler bug
> or a Monticello bug.  It's completely repeatable.
>
> The bug is that after building the VMMaker image that compiles the VMMaker
> package, Spur32BitCoMemoryManager>>#getScavengeThreshold (the 42st inst
> var) is compiled with a header that says return the 7th inst var.
>
> To repeat, check-out http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image,
> run buildsqueak45image.sh, then start-up CogVMMaker.image.  Navigate to
> Spur32BitCoMemoryManager>>#getScavengeThreshold
> -- and explore the method (there's a menu pick in the browser).
> best,
> Eliot

Something strange is going on for sure. I have tried running the
"$VM CogVMMaker.image BuildSqueak45Image.st" step a few times with both
a Cog VM and an interpreter VM, and in all cases the image and VM are just
exiting somewhere in the middle of the process. No error messages, no core
dumps, just an exit. I am not seeing any consistent pattern as to when it is
exiting although I think it is happening during Monticello processing. I am
on a 64 bit linux box (BTW the "md5" command used in the shell scripts is
not present on my machine).

Dave