[squeak-dev] Is it just me or is class comment editing totally broken in 4.5?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 3 18:01:57 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 11:18:11AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

>>> Okay, I was just getting this again in our release image.  Strange --
>>> it happens on one laptop but not the other..!  The suggested patch
>>> seemed to work for me, don't we need to push this fix to trunk and
>>> squeak45?
>>>
>> I should double check to be sure, but I think this was a bug in the run
>> time libraries of the operating system, as opposed to something in the VM
>> or the image. I can't say I like the idea of putting a kludge into the
>> image to work around a bug in Ubuntu, although it might be worthwhile in
>> this case just to prevent new users from having a bad experience.
>>
>> Come to think of it, we should be able to write a unit test that would
>> detect this problem when running Squeak on a buggy OS.
>>
>> Dave
>>
> Strange I encountered the bug on Ubuntu 14.04 instead of 12.04 instead
> of the other way around..  Actually not, Ubuntu seems to be getting
> worse in some ways..

I am having a hard time reducing this problem to something I can put into
a unit test. I can't see any obvious problem in the way the writes are being
performed on a file stream, and the actual failure seems to be happening
when creating the initial RemoteStream for a class comment. When a new class
is created without a class comment, the classComment in the ClassOrganizer
is nil. When accepting a new comment in a browser for the first time, a
RemoteStream is created to reference the comment that will be saved in the
changes file. Something gets out of whack at that point, but I have not yet
spotted the cause.

Dave