[squeak-dev] 16 bit GIFs (was: A nitpick)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat May 10 22:00:41 UTC 2014

There’s a related issue that could do with a fix sometime - the jpeg library we used to make the jepegreadwriteplugin is out of date and Debian (at least) considers that a security risk and thus they mangle the sources to not use those file but link to the ‘standard’ library. Which unfortunately doesn’t actually work within our plugin!

Leaving aside the sheer rudeness of throwing unapproved ‘patches’ into somebody’s code (without ever letting Ian know, for example) and resulting in a broken function, I imagine that if looked into we would be able to tweak our plugin code to actually work with the new jpeg library code. This would be a Good Thing. If anyone knows enough about jpeg library, Debian, blah blah blah to look into this then it might make a nice project that would benefit the Raspberry Pi Scratch using world - several tens of thousands of kids in the UK alone.

tim
I am the computer your mother warned you about.