[squeak-dev] VM should use platform libraries where possible (was: 16 bit GIFs (was: A nitpick))

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sun May 11 07:18:16 UTC 2014

> On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 03:00:41PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > There?s a related issue that could do with a fix sometime - the jpeg
> library we used to make the jepegreadwriteplugin is out of date and Debian
> (at least) considers that a security risk and thus they mangle the sources
> to not use those file but link to the ?standard? library. Which
> unfortunately doesn?t actually work within our plugin!
> >
> > Leaving aside the sheer rudeness of throwing unapproved ?patches? into
> somebody?s code (without ever letting Ian know, for example) and resulting
> in a broken function, I imagine that if looked into we would be able to
> tweak our plugin code to actually work with the new jpeg library code. This
> would be a Good Thing. If anyone knows enough about jpeg library, Debian,
> blah blah blah to look into this then it might make a nice project that
> would benefit the Raspberry Pi Scratch using world - several tens of
> thousands of kids in the UK alone.
> >

> This issue is tracked in Mantis 7539: "Plugins should use platform
> libraries
> where possible. Gentoo removed Squeak for this reason."
>
>    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7539
>
> It was originally reported based on Gentoo rejecting Squeak, and it
> affects Debian
> and other Linux distributions that (quite reasonably) expect that supported
> applications should link to current versions of system libraries.
>
> If anyone is interested in working to improve this, please do. It would be
> a great
> way for someone to contribute a really useful update to the VM.
>
> Dave

A general idea would be to proceed in two steps:
-1) upgrade the library in squeak svn repository, so as to fix the API
evolutions mismatch
-2) provide a way to link to existing library (via cmake/configure in
VMMaker and apt/rpm package dependency at distrib level)

Good plan, but what are the starting points?
Which library exactly should be used?
libjpeg - http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg/ - which is the successor
of the library used in squeak is licenced GPL v2, should we taint the whole
VM?
There is also an opened issue (http://sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg/bugs/5/ - 5
years old!!!) telling it does not compile on win32 (not sure which compiler
though, it might be MSVC only), so this might be a hurdle for step 1).

So what is the plan in details?