[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.6 suggestion for default comment: change "a Foo is xxxxxxxxx" to "I "

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun May 11 11:41:32 UTC 2014

Hope I am not starting a religious war, but...

I have found the idiom of "I " much easier to parse and edit rather than "A Dude is xxxxxxxxx" when entering class comments.

With the former, I just position the mouse and start typing: 'I ' ->  'I act as a formal frabulator for the system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'.
With the latter, I must delete the 'is xxxxxxxxx' before I start commenting:  'A Dude is xxxxxxxxx '  -> 'A Dude acts as a formal frabulator for the system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'

The mental flow for the former is "think", "type".
The mental flow for the latter is  "grrrrrr", "edit" , "think" , "type"

The former offers the opportunity for different verbs right off the bat: "I am ", "I act" , "I perform " , "I flail"
The latter requires we ponder the suitability of the verb "is", accept or reject its suitability (This is the time sink for me) , think of a new verb if rejected, delete the verb and type the verb.

Scanning the Kernel-Class package, there is a lot of history surrounding Class comments so I can take the answer 'no' gracefully. 'yes' would be good, however. (:

cheers.

tty