[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Year 2037 problem

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 15 01:49:26 UTC 2014

Um...

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 05:34:42PM -0700, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> >
> > Below.
> >
> > > On May 13, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > The [Cog] vms and the interpreter provide a 64 bit microseconds from
> 1901 primitive which is good for > 30,000 years.
> >
> > Where's the method in VMMaker? Maybe I'll leave a nice comment for the
> poor sap who gets the bug in 30,000 years:D
> >

> There are two primitives available in all current VMs:
>
>    primitiveUTCMicrosecondClock
>        "Answer the UTC microseconds since the Smalltalk epoch. The value is
>        derived from the Posix epoch (see primitiveUTCMicrosecondClock)
> with a
>        constant offset corresponding to elapsed microseconds between the
> two
>        epochs according to RFC 868."
>
>    primitiveUtcWithOffset
>        "Answer an array with UTC microseconds since the Posix epoch and
>        the current seconds offset from GMT in the local time zone. An empty
>        two element array may be supplied as a parameter.
>        This is a named (not numbered) primitive in the null module (ie the
> VM)"

The primitives in Cog are from the Smalltalk epoch, 1901.  We still have a
ways to go.

With 50000 years to play with the Posix epoch really makes no sense to me.
 The start of the 20th century is a significant point time.  1970, well
we'd already been round the moon, I was 11, hair styles were interesting,
blah.

--
best,
Eliot