[squeak-dev] Ongoing PunchCard releases

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri May 16 01:40:08 UTC 2014

Hi Dave, I did some thinking today about what you were saying in the
meeting about PunchedCard and new Squeak releases.  PunchedCard has
not needed any changes for eons.  Its non-intrusive and so will
probably work for several more future Squeak releases.

So why we should we have to do a manual exercise of tagging it with
"Squeak4.5" in SqueakMap?  It's a good question.

I think the easiest and most natural approach for projects at rest is
to simply let them remain at rest.  We don't _need_ to tag PunchedCard
as "Squeak4.5" until the moment someone desires enough that
information to be documented in the catalog.  At which time we want it
to be very easy -- no need for new SM Release if no changes, just the
category assignment.

Until then, nothing stops anyone from downloading the current
PunchedCard "2.0" version in Squeak 4.5 even though its not tagged for
it.  If it is found not to work in 4.5 (or some future release), we at
least have the tag documenting the last version of Squeak it was known
to work in.  They could run it there and if they care enough they'll
update it for 4.5 and add a new catalog entry.

The SqueakMap client window should be replaced to look more like a
System browser..  Categories | Packages | Releases across the top,
with notes where the code pane is..